Homeopathic Doctors for PCOD in Vidhyadhar Nagar
What is PCOD?
PCOD (Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease) or PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) is a disease characterized by multiple (‘poly’) cysts (small sacs filled with fluid) in the ovaries. Patients with PCOD have abnormal levels of hormones that result in irregular menses, infertility, and certain masculine changes in the body.
What are the causes of PCOD?
PCOD problems are caused by hormone changes the hormonal imbalance. One hormone change triggers another, which changes another.
1. Raised levels of Testosterone – Androgens or “male hormones,” although all women make small amounts of androgens. Higher than normal androgen levels in women can prevent the ovaries from releasing an egg (ovulation) during each menstrual cycle. Excess androgen produced by the theca cells of the ovaries, due either to hyperinsulinemia or increased luteinizing hormone (LH) levels.
2. Raised levels of Luteinising Hormone (LH) – Due to increased production from the anterior pituitary. This stimulates ovulation but may have an abnormal effect on the ovaries if levels are too high.
3. Low levels of Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin (SHBG) – A protein in the blood, which binds to testosterone and reduces the effect of testosterone.
4. Raised levels of Prolactin – Hormone that stimulates the breast glands to produce milk during pregnancy.
5. High levels of Insulin (a hormone that helps convert sugars and starches into energy) If you have insulin resistance, your ability to use insulin effectively is impaired, and also your pancreas has to secrete more insulin to make glucose available to cells (so, hyperinsulinemia) Excess insulin might also affect the ovaries by increasing androgen production, which may interfere with the ovaries’ ability to ovulate.
A significant hereditary component, if your mother or sister has PCOS, you’re more likely to have it.
If you’re overweight, your chances of developing it are greater. As weight gain increases insulin resistance. Fatty tissues are hormonally active and they produce estrogen which disrupts ovulation.
What are the symptoms of PCOD?
Generally, the patient presents with the following symptoms:
Various hormones of the body operate in harmony to regularize smooth functioning of all systems including the reproductive system. The disturbance of the hormonal mechanism makes the ovaries produce an excessive amount of the male reproductive hormones (androgens) and at the same time, there is a failure of egg formation. This excess of androgens with the absence of ovulation may cause infertility.
2. Typical medical Symptoms
- Regular/ irregular menstrual cycles.
- Heavy/scanty menstrual flow.
- The need to take hormonal tablets (progestins) to induce a period, etc
3. Physical Symptoms:
. Often obese and may have hirsutism, (excessive facial and body hair) as a result of the high androgen levels.
How is PCOD Diagnosed?
1. Diagnosis can be confirmed by vaginal Ultrasound (USG pelvis): Shows that both the ovaries are enlarged; the bright central stroma is increased, and there are multiple small cysts in the ovaries. These cysts are usually arranged in the form of a necklace along the periphery of the ovary.
2. Blood levels of hormones:
- High LH (luteinizing hormone) level; and a Normal FSH level (follicle stimulating hormone) i.e. a reversal of the LH: FSH ratio, which is normally 1:1.
- Elevated levels of androgens (a high dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S) level);
- Fasting cholesterol and triglyceride levels;
- Glucose tolerance test
DO’s & DONT’S OF PCOD
- Diet should be dominated with lots of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis. Avoid dairy products as much as possible.
- Lean cuts of chicken and fish can be taken. But avoid red meat.
- Hydrate yourself well by having a minimum of 2-3 liters water/day, coconut water, buttermilk, vegetable soups, and smoothies. Avoid aerated drinks and sugary foods.
- Eat unsaturated fats and delete saturated and hydrogenated fats from your diet. Always check the label of the product while buying them.
- Binge on whole wheat products like wheat pasta, wheat poha and avoid maida, suji
- Brown rice in and white rice should be out of your diet. Red rice is also found to be rich in antioxidants which can be used as a substitute for white rice.
- Include natural herbs in your diet like flax seeds, methi seeds, coriander, cinnamon.
- Include millets like barley, ragi, quinoa, and oats. They are known to cool your body.
- Say Yes to walnuts, almonds and no to cashews
- Whole pulses like skinned green moong dal, chana dal, yellow moong dal, whole pulses to be included in various preparations.
- Sepia: Sepia is a great women remedy. Its main effect is that it disturbs vasomotor function and consequently irregular dysfunction of blood. The sepia patients are chilly but their skin condition is better in the cold application. All kinds of menstrual irregularities are found in Sepia as late, early, scanty, profuse, amenorrhoea. The first menses of sepia patient is too early or too late. The character of blood is irregular in every form, dark flow in the morning. Quantity of blood is too scanty and sometimes too profuse. Mentally the patient is excessively nervous. The patient cannot narrate her symptoms without weeping.
- Apis: This is another wonderful remedy for right-sided ovarian cyst. By temperament, APIs patient is irritable and hot patient. Erotic insanity and sexual mania, especially in women, both form part of the mental pathology of this remedy. Manic-depressive states consisting of eroticism during the manic state and complete apathy during the depressive state could need this remedy. Ailments from sexual excesses are an Apis characteristic.
- Thuja: Thuja is a left sided drug. Left side principally affected, eg left ovary. This is the king of antipsychotic drugs. Left ovarian region is very sensitive in thuja patient. Left ovary is inflamed. Patient problems are worse at every menstrual period. There is a burning sensation while walking or riding. There are found profuse perspiration before Menses, this is also a peculiar symptom of thuja patient.
- Lachesis: Lachesis has a special affinity for female genital organs, especially left ovary problems eg left ovarian neuralgia, left ovarian tumour either begin or cancerous, there are found special symptoms that ovarian troubles start from left and goes to the right ovary. By temperament, Lachesis patient is melancholic and sad. Lachesis patients cannot bear heat, they are hot patients and are easily affected by heat in general, under all circumstances and in all cases. This is an anti psoric remedy.
- Palladium Metallicum: This remedy is indicated in the right ovarian tumour, due to this tumour the patient fell pain and swelling in the region of the right ovary. The pain is shooting or burning in the pelvic region and bearing down and pain relieved by rubbing. Menses appeared late and accompanied by headache.menstrual discharge while nursing this is a unique feature of this remedy.